Former Great Northern Palouse branch line crosses Palouse River at Harpole. Branch was abandoned in 1967. The bridge was built in 1922 by the Great Northern after it acquired the Spokane & Inland Empire Railroad and upgraded the electric interurban line to heavy-haul freight standards; the trusses were covered in 1928 to further strengthen the structure. Eventually abandoned by the railroad in 1967, the bridge was purchased by local resident Ruth Lowe and converted into a driveway to serve her home. . , the Harpole bridge in the only extant structure of its type in Washington, and perhaps one of the few remaining in the country. This bridge has been listed in the NRHP.